Sunday, February 5, 2017

Syrian Refugees - My 2 Cents

I know its been awhile.  I've been spending more time in my studio and reconnecting with my family after my Australian adventure.

SO, I'm weighing in my 2 cents. There has been a lot in the news again lately about the refugee issue thanks to President Trump. 

As a Christian, I put it to other Christians who may be in favor of refusing admittance to refugees:

If you are truly the good Christian you think you are you would remember a few lessons the Bible tries to teach us:

One-the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Two-the Golden Rule. Remember, this rule teaches us to treat others the same way we want to be treated, not the way they actually treat us.

Regarding the Wolf in Sheep's clothing "refugees" that are committing acts of terrorism in the host countries.

(I put them in quotes because I don't consider those individuals as actual refugees, they are people taking advantage of a situation to cause harm.)

Removing one way for these individuals to cause trouble (ie: refusing admittance to refugees) is not going to stop them from finding other ways.  

It will only punish the innocent families who are simply trying to keep their family from harm and death and find a new home so they can go on raising their children in a safe place. 

As a parent, I completely sympathize with this.

We need to remember something else as well.  This country as it stands was started by refugees. Most of the settlers and immigrants came here to escape from something. This is just the current version of what they did. So unless you are a descendant of one of the tribes that were indigenous to these continents before explorers and settlers barged in and took over, there is really no argument that can be made for not excepting more people wanting a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment